Adapted from Sweet Kitchen
Makes 12 cupcakes
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons cake flour, not self-rising
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh matcha powder
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and line cupcake pans with paper liners; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine flours, sugar, baking powder, salt and matcha powder; mix on low speed until combined.
- Add butter, mixing until the cubes of butter are peanut-sized or a little smaller.
- In another bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, and vanilla.
- With mixer on medium speed, add wet ingredients in 3 parts, scraping down sides of bowl before each addition; beat until ingredients are incorporated but do not overbeat.
- Divide batter evenly among liners, filling about 2/3 full. Bake until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 17 to 20 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 8 oz cream cheese, at room temp
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- In a bowl, combine cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract.
- Beat with an electric mixer until everything is fully incorporated and the desired consistency is reached. If the frosting is still too wet, then add more powdered sugar.
- Place frosting into a pastry bag with a cake decorating tip and pipe onto cooled cupcakes.